Advertisement

Why Do My Cats Hide Things?

topic posted Thu, February 1, 2007 - 11:59 AM by  Wicked One
Share/Save/Bookmark
Every time I look for a pen I left out, it's gone. I usually find it under the rug in the living room or the dining room. The cats are stealing my pens and hiding them. Yesterday I found a foam earplug hidden under the bathroom rug. Whenever my roommate leaves his door open, one of the cats scoots in there as quickly as possible and steals a tack from his gigantic map. She leaves them hidden in corners in the living room.

So what's the deal with this behavior? If the cats were catching mice or birds, would they bury them too? Is this hunting behavior, or something more like magpies, saving cute little things away as treasure?
Advertisement
  • Re: Why Do My Cats Hide Things?

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 12:11 PM
    I remember with quite some embarassment when the movers came to load our furniture onto the truck last year they lifted the bed to find.....

- about 30 ping pong balls
    - a collection of other cat toys
    - a vast array of writing utensils
    - foam ear plugs
    - lipsticks and lipbalms
    - an assortment of rings from milk jugs
    - a bracelet

Kashi regularly steals pens and pencils, Tia has the milk ring thing and Tango is the jewelry hoarder. I don't know what the other two might do.

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 12:45 PM
    I have no idea what's up with it.

My three furbabies steal my stuff all the time.. no matter what it is.

Bodhi my middle kitty, loves to steal my socks and under the clothes things.. sometimes I will actually have to chase him and I swear he laughs at me inside his head ;)

Fri, February 2, 2007 - 4:10 AM
      I forgot about the socks! One of them (I suspect it's the little one, Kashi) hooks the sock balls out of the clean laundry basket if we don't put them away immediately and bats them around the house, too.

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 12:46 PM
    Well from observation I would say they see a toy which to us is likely a useful or precious or dangerous to kitty object. Once they have their wee paws on said object, they proceed to play with it wildly until they lose it from sight or under a piece of furniture where they cannot retrieve it. ;)

They also like playing with objects in conjunction with rugs, that would be more play hunting. They then get bored and leave object under rug.

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 1:00 PM
      Oh yes, I forgot how they like to steal the chapstick, and the twisties from any packaging. I happily give them wine corks to play with. I worry abou the tacks, though.

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 1:15 PM
        lol yes worry about the tacks, rubber bands, spools of thread, string, paper clips, buttons, nails and screws and anything they might accidentally swallow and get stuck in their esophagus or that would mess with their insides...

Sigh, being a cat mom is lotsa stress.
      • Unsu...

Re: Why Do My Cats Hide Things?

Sat, March 17, 2007 - 2:29 AM
        My kika is the hider in the house, luna could care less. Kika likes to put my hair elastics in her food dish along with wrappers and q tips. she opens the cabinet under my sink in the bathroom and will get q tips, dig through my box of tampons and carry those around (which can be really embarrassing) milk rings if she can get them, under my bed is a graveyard of stuff ive forgotten about

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 1:25 PM
    And this is why I keep the door to my sewing room CLOSED! He always tries to sneak in there too.

Most of his collection of treasures end up under my stove in the kitchen. At the moment, we are on the look-out for his favorite toy, "the fuzzy"... he honestly misses it, I must find it, but both him and I don't know where he last batted it to! Just the mention of it, and his tail darts back and forth, and a sharp nose exhail.

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 1:31 PM
      Lol My Madge (in the pic) has a favorite toy also called "Fuzzy."

Hers is a toy actually called "Daddy Pompom Legs"

www.thecatconnection.com/miva/...om.jpg

She has 2 she loves them so much.

They are too big to just lose. My other cat, Leia, like the small realistic fur and leather mice best and those always get lost under things. At least they are cheap.

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 1:38 PM
        Yes! My cat has the Daddy Pompom Legs also, and loves it! Our "fuzzy" I think has been discontinued in stores, so to him, it is very valuable... his precious! It is basically a golfball size, hard fur-ball, with a jingle bell hidden inside.
  • Unsu...

Thu, February 1, 2007 - 3:36 PM
    I just moved the stove to clean out from behind it and found 5 furry mice 7 pens and a couple jingle balls. The last time I moved the couch was about the same = ) . Though I don't think they hide them on purpose but batt them under .

Fri, February 2, 2007 - 11:24 AM
      At Christmas we moved our loveseat to put the Tree in front of the window, and there were about six of those little rabbit-fur mice! It happens whenever we move any furniture! Wiley little Devils!

Fri, February 2, 2007 - 11:52 AM
        I remember when i was a teenager, i had a cat named Reggie who had a fondness for stealing the big stick on bows from the christmas presents.

Somehow, he managed to hide them or bat them behind this weird armoire we used to have in the house.

when we got rid of the armoire, we found five years worth of stolen christmas bows (like 40 or 50 of the things) in the armoire, under the armoire, and behind the armoire (we still have no idea how Reggie or the bows actually managed to get INTO the damned thing, but sure enough, they did)

Fri, February 2, 2007 - 12:16 PM
    LOL the stories are cute.. My Jax doesn't take or hide anything.. actually none of my cats did that hmmm..

Fri, March 16, 2007 - 7:51 PM
      I wish sometimes my cats would hide things...their hairballs, dead roaches, and toys. They seem to always put them in plain view so I'll be sure and see them or step on them.
      • K
        K
        offline 1

Fri, March 16, 2007 - 8:12 PM
        My grey cat Camilia love feathery pens and she view it as her treasure. she also takes my mom watch, paint brushes and pens and hide it in our couch. I guess it her hiding spot to collect her stuff.

Sat, March 17, 2007 - 1:22 PM
          I think the idea of finding something to play with then loosing (or looing interest) is the right thing. Any object in my house that is smaller than a golf ball is immediately spotted by my Tiny and knocked off from where ever it is and usually found under the funature.
          It wasn't until I moved that I realized my two girls had about 50 superballs and many other assorted toys that I'd bought them then they lost.
          Bestita however is not into inanimate objects. For her, they have to move. Moths, water bugs and spiders being her specialty. She chases them, catches then then brings the dead bodies to me.
          The only problem I ever had with this was the night she woke me up and deposited an unharmed and very live deer mouse on my bed. My neighbors must have thought I was crazy running out of the house at 1am holding a mouse by the back of it's neck screaming EEWWWW!! so I could throw it onto the other side of the river where it couldn't get back into my house. (Like Bessie, I couldn't kill it.)

Recent topics in "Cat People"