Advertisement

My 19 year old cat is dying :(

topic posted Sun, December 5, 2004 - 11:57 AM by  Leslie
Share/Save/Bookmark
This last couple weeks have been hell. Every couple days I've been at the vet, LittleOne has needed sub cutaneous fluids, prednisone shots, acupuncture treatments, among other things. He is a noble spirit- never wanting to come in the house till he was 8 years old! A tough feral Potrero Hill gang cat that moved to Marin and changed his life. We have been through so much together... His thyroid condition is under control, but something new is amiss- the most glaring symptom being his lack of appetite. For a cat who ate like a steam shovel this development is not good. So tomorrow we go to the vet at 11:30. We will do the bloodwork thing to check the liver enzymes. If the enzyme level is still elevated it will indicate his liver is failing. That's the end.
What I need are some kitty prayers. I am crying. We need strength, for I do not want to prolong his discomfort for my sake. And he needs to show me a sign indicating his desire to live. I want to do the "rightest" thing whatever that is. So that is that. You can check out a web page I made for my pets here: homepage.mac.com/eilsel/me.../pets.html
He is the gray and white manx sleeping on the pink pillow button.
Thanks for listening
Leslie
posted by:
Leslie
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: My 19 year old cat is dying :(

Sun, December 5, 2004 - 1:27 PM
    Obviously there is a strong bond between you two. I'm sure he will tell you when he's ready. I'm sorry for the pain both of you are going through. My thoughts are with you.
  • Unsu...

Re: My 19 year old cat is dying :(

Mon, December 6, 2004 - 12:41 AM
    That's very sad - I hope that you will find the strength for the right thing for Little One.

Dobson & Carmine really liked your webpage -- they want to know if you can add more audio of you kitties talking to them. MEEEEOW!

Mon, December 6, 2004 - 5:31 AM
      My heart is with you thru this. I know how much it hurts to lose one. My family has lost so many special ones over the years and it never does get any easier. I agree, he will tell you when it is time. They always seem to know when to let us know it's time to let go. When I lost my Barney two years ago on 12/26, I cut some fur from him and now carry it in my horse show coat for good luck. The only thing you can do now is just enjoy each and every moment you two have together and remember even when he is "gone" from here, he will never be gone from you. Not one day goes by that I don't think of my Barney. Hang in there, you will get thru this.

Mon, December 6, 2004 - 7:59 AM
    I am very sorry to hear that you have to go through this! I know full well how hard this process can be. I would give you a hug if I could!

I think you will just know when the time is right ... keep your spirit high and remember how much you have done for him!

sarah

Mon, December 6, 2004 - 9:26 AM
    My condolences to you in this time of sorrow. I know how hard it is to lose a soul that's been your companion for so long. I wish you strength and peace through this hard time.

Mon, December 6, 2004 - 9:34 AM
      Best wishes to you and your beautiful Littleone. He'll let you know when it's time. The bond between the both of you will be be broken.

Tue, December 7, 2004 - 7:50 AM
        I am so sorry about the error in my post above! I meant the bond will NEVER be broken. I got so choked-up reading your post that I didn't proof read my post. I went through the same thing with my beloved Chavala in April of 2003. I hope nobody thought I was being cruel.
  • Unsu...

Mon, December 6, 2004 - 7:20 PM
    So sorry....19 yrs is a long time. I had my girl cat Jade for 14 yrs and it was a long time until I didn't cry when I thought of her. A month after she was put down, along came Cosmo and we've been the best of pals ever since (he was a stray-see my photo).
    • Unsu...

Mon, December 6, 2004 - 8:37 PM
      I'm so sorry, my boo is about 15 or so she adopted me a long time ago that seems like yesterday. shes showing the signs of so many years and it breaks my heart. all you can do is love your kid and know we share that pain.

d
  • g
    g
    offline 62

Mon, December 6, 2004 - 11:04 PM
    So sorry to hear your mate is, (well you know). I had to put my good buddy to sleep two years ago, after he developed a tumour... Poor bugger couldn't even get up to move out of the rain.... :(

After the vet had given him 'the shot' he stretched his out his head and rubbed his cheek on my hand, like he was saying goodbye... damn, I'm tearing up even when I write this... so much for toughness in men.....

Our latest two feline fridge magnets are bundles of fun, but I still miss my gray micro-panther
  • I got that phone call.

Tue, December 7, 2004 - 11:54 AM
    The vet called this morning- just as we suspected, LittleOne's liver is all messed up. Tomorrow the vet will call me with the results of the xray. If it is a tumor thing that is the end. If it is an inflammation then LittleOne will get some antibiotics and a fat cortisone shot to ease the pain. That will make him more comfortable till his time comes.

I really want to thank you all for the prayers- I found it so much more bearable to go to LittleOne's vet appointment yesterday for that bloodwork- I don't think I would have been able to do it without you. I was even together for the phone call announcing the results of that bloodwork this morning. On the dog walk I weakened a bit- but that is to be expected...

Stan, my vet, said he wants to do whatever it takes to make this smooth for all of us. He is very fond of LittleOne.

All in Divine Order.

Leslie
    • Re: I got that phone call.

Tue, December 7, 2004 - 3:27 PM
      many kind thoughts to you and your little one....i lost my boy scooter in 2002 after 18 years together...you'll know when the time is right , scratches and purrs....
  • Update: My 19 year old cat is dying :(

Thu, December 9, 2004 - 9:48 PM
    I took LittleOne into the vet this morning. He needed fluids, and I wanted to see the xray. His liver is 3 times the normal size! There is a tumor-like mass as well. He also lost more weight, down to 4.8 lbs.

With this information I could see there was no way around the decision.

Bravely, without busting out in tears, I made an appointment for my vet to come over on Monday, at noon, to put LittleOne to sleep here, at home, in his own warm familiar kitchen. No car ride. No cat carrier.

I am visualizing opening the kitchen door to the garden, as I have so many times before, loving him, letting him go out to run and stretch and nap in the warm sunshine,
    this time leaving his tired, sick body behind.
    Then I will bury him.
    • Re: Update: My 19 year old cat is dying :(

Fri, December 10, 2004 - 5:34 AM
      My thoughts and lots of hugs are with you. It's nice to have a vet who will come to your home. Just love LittleOne lots and lots until then and let him know how much you love him. I got teary just reading your last post. Hang in there. Hugs, hugs, hugs and more hugs, know you have others out there that know exactly what it feels like to lose a "special" friend. It's getting hard for me right now since 12/26 will be two years since I lost my Barney and my mom just lost her second old dog last week. My heart goes out to you.
      • Re: Update: My 19 year old cat is dying :(

Fri, December 10, 2004 - 7:29 AM
        hugs and prayers out to you that you find calm soon. your baby will not be in pain any longer. i know its hard to put that aside when we are mourning but kitty will be running around and lounging with all of our pets that have passed.

peace

Mon, December 13, 2004 - 10:39 AM
    I'm so sorry!!!

I have a near-19 year old too and I am acutely aware of how much a cat that has been around for so long means to you! Much love and kitty prayers from my three to you and LittleOne.

Whatever happens, it sounds like you love him very much and I'm sure he knows that.
  • Fond Memories

Tue, December 14, 2004 - 6:32 AM
    Hey ya'll, here is closure on this thread...

I wrote this last night to sooth and lift my heart

homepage.mac.com/eilsel/tr...ibute.html

slideshow here

homepage.mac.com/eilsel/tr...index.html

Leslie
    • Re: Fond Memories

Sun, December 19, 2004 - 10:29 AM
      My daughter and I (she is 7) truly enjoyed the slideshow and movie! What sweet kitties! I am sorry you lost Littleone! What a loving kitty!

Mon, December 20, 2004 - 4:26 AM
        Knowing you shared LittleOne's life with your daughter makes me happier than You might imagine! Thanks for sharing!
        • Unsu...

Re: Fond Memories

Mon, December 20, 2004 - 4:55 AM
          Leslie:
          Anne wasn't the only one. I showed some of the photos from your slide show to my children, and they found them delightful. All of your cats, the stories about them, and your descriptions of their socialization and adorable behaviors are touching. You are a lucky human to have been blessed with such snuggly wonderfulness, and I know you have definitely done your best to make the quality of their lives the best it can be. Hugs and strength and wisdom to you. You are a terrific cat mommy.

~Theresa~
        • Unsu...

Re: Fond Memories

Fri, December 31, 2004 - 9:03 PM
          I have 7 dogs &5 catsw.My oldest cat has been w/me since 1990&I picked him up on thge street.He was hiding behind a door.He's still going good.
          i've lost 2 dogs thios year, one from liver failure&the other couldn't walk for 3 weeks&he was developing bedsores,he was 19&1/2 .He had fallen down some stairs&was never right after that.
          I just figure that the best way to meorialize them is to get one of their buddies that would have no chance w/o you&give them a nice warm home&alot of great food.Happy New Year.

Sun, January 2, 2005 - 3:08 PM
            I think if I had a house I would probably be one of those cat ladies, but I would be a cat/dog/fish/rabbit/etc. lady... ha! There was such a lady locally who rescued race horses in addition to other animals (i.e. cats and dogs). Unfortunately, we have some really awful people locally who just don't value life, who destroyed her animals in the middle of the night. It was so tragic... They set fire to the barn or something I believe and her fire warning system was disconnected by the perverts so she didn't get warning in time to save them.

Recent topics in "Cat People"